And Jane Austen spins in her grave

Thursday, August 20, 2009

There seems to be a disturbing trend when it comes to Jane Austen fan fiction lately. Maybe you've heard of the book that hit bookshelves everywhere earlier this year: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies... but did you know there's another one in the works? That's right, up next is Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters. No, really. NO, really. And just today I came across another little gem. It seems that someone has decided to bank on the 'gentleman vampire mania' that the Twilight saga has induced among the female populace of the world and write a little book titled (wait for it)....

Mr. Darcy, Vampyre.















Now, I have nothing against Austen fan fiction in general, I read Austenland and I enjoyed it... but this... this is just a little much. Then again, I suppose, if they can get away with writing this sort of thing and actually get paid for it, then good on them.
What do you think?

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Yer killin me, Smalls!!
Just what are these people thinking polluting Austin that way?! It is a tragedy, thats what I think!

MARY IN SCOTLAND said...

WOW! That one's a stretch I think...
but there are many Mr. Darcy types...

I read Prada & Prejudice, and it was real cute!

Seems everyone is riding the Twilight/Jane Austen coat tails these days.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

I tried out the zombies imitation. I shuddered. It was too much for me. I am sure many guys who would never pick up Pride and Prejudice finally got some of the story that way. I think that will be the last paranormal Jane Austen book I'll read (I better not make any promises though :)